Dental implants are the best way to replace a missing tooth, being the next best thing to a natural tooth.
Benefits of dental implants
– Provided they are looked after properly; dental implants can last up to 15-20 years.
– They are the most authentic solution to replacing a missing tooth.
– Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth.
– They replace your tooth’s root
– Very low chance of the bone not fusing with your gum.
– Strong and hardwearing as they’re made from titanium.
What is the process behind replacing a missing tooth?
– You will need to attend a consultation so that we can evaluate your personal requirements.
– During the surgical phase, your implant will be placed into your jawbone whilst you are under local anaesthetic. This phase can take between 45 minutes and 3 hours.
– Your implant is likely to need time to fuse with your jawbone which can take up to 6 weeks. You will be asked to return once this has happened, so that your restoration can be placed – a restoration is the ‘tooth’ part that is placed on top of the implant, such as a crown or a bridge.
Am I eligible for dental implants?
Sometimes certain patients do not have sufficient bone to have dental implants. In this case, your implantologist here at Boyne can perform what is known as bone grafting, which adds bone or bone-like material to the patient’s jaw. This is either processed bone or the patient’s own bone. There are other procedures that can be carried out, though this depends on the number of implants needed and the type of implant used.
What are the repercussions of failing to replace a missing tooth?
– Missing teeth can affect the way your jaw moves.
– Your teeth will move into available gaps, causing a shift and rendering your teeth uneven. This may also cause large gaps to appear, which can be a breeding ground for bacteria and hence for gum disease and periodontitis.
– Bone loss – If you are missing a tooth you can suffer bone loss, which will cause your facial features to drop.
If you would like more information about dental implants at Boyne, please do not hesitate to contact us.